Santa Maria Sun / Sports Short
The following articles were printed from Santa Maria Sun [santamariasun.com] - Volume 13, Issue 12
On the roster
• Equestrian fundraiser: A joint benefit for the Santa Ynez Valley Therapeutic Riding Program and the Santa Ynez Valley Equestrian Association on June 2 will showcase world-class equestrians. Equestrian entertainer Ramon Becerra and Cowgirl Hall of Famer Sandy Collier are scheduled to perform, as is Olympic bronze medalist dressage rider Charlotte Bredahl-Baker. The event runs from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at the Santa Ynez Valley Equestrian Center, 195 Refugio Road in Santa Ynez. Hors d’ouevres and wine will be served, and local art will be on display. Tickets cost $35 and are available at the gate and in advance. Children get in free with a paid adult. VIP tickets cost $50 and include a barbecue dinner. For tickets, or to find out more, call 325-1544 or e-mail Robin at email@example.com.
• Lompoc Glove Drive: The Lompoc Police Department will hold a baseball glove drive on June 2 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. to collect gloves for children ages 5 to 13 in the Lompoc Valley Police Activities League’s new Junior Giants team. The PAL program is free to the public. The Lompoc Police Department is at 107 Civic Center Plaza in Lompoc. For more information, call PAL coordinator Kathy Hefferman at 875-8156.
• Santa Maria Youth Football League: The league is taking registrations for the 2012 football and cheerleading seasons. Football fees are $200, including a jersey, gear rental, a trophy, and a basic picture package. Players must be between the ages of 8 and 14 during the season to participate. Cheerleaders must be in kindergarten to eighth grade for the 2012-2013 school year. Fees are $180 and include uniform, cheer camp, and a basic picture package. Registrations will be held at the Westgate Community Room, 1300 Marsala Ave., from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. June 9 to 10, June 23 to 24, July 14 to 15, and July 21 to 22. Parents must provide two copies of the child’s birth certificate, a current report card, and a recent photo. For more information, call league president Manuel Ledesma at 363-9642 or cheer director Dana McNutt at 260-6389.
• Tri-the-Bull Triathlon: Tri-athletes of all fitness levels can test their endurance at the fourth annual Tri-the-Bull Triathlon June 23 at Pioneer Valley High School. The event is a half-mile swim, seven-mile bike ride, and a three-mile run, with shorter distances for junior and senior divisions. Participants aged 15 and older can register as individuals or as part of three-person relay teams. Children ages 7 to 14 can compete in the junior triathlon. Registration fees are $40 for individuals or $105 for a team of three. Fees for junior athletes are $20 for individuals or $45 for teams. Sign-ups take place through June 14. Participants can register online at active.com or by visiting the Recreation and Parks Department at 615 S. McClelland St. in Santa Maria. For more information, call the Recreation and Parks Department at 925-0951, Ext. 260.
• Horace Grant basketball camp: Children ages 10 to 18 are invited to participate in the Horace Grant Elite Basketball Camp, June 25 through 28 in San Luis Obispo. The camp is led by former Chicago Bulls forward and NBA All-Star Horace Grant and runs from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at San Luis Obispo High School, 1499 San Luis Dr. The cost is $400 per child. To register, visit horacegrant.com and download and complete the registration form. Checks must be sent to the Horace Grant Elite Basketball Camp, P.O. Box 1489, Arroyo Grande, CA, 93421. For more information, call 709-0522.
Sports Shorts is compiled by Staff Writer Jeremy Thomas. Information should be sent to the Sun via fax, e-mail, or mail.